Viewing night or day sky with a telescope is indeed a seducing experience. But at the beginning stage, you might get vertiginous among different type of telescope design, feature, functionality and many other aspects of the device. Since there are numerous distinct telescope remain in the mart with both advantage and disadvantage.
In such a situation, you just need to understand each of the telescope individuality and their strength and weakness. Then you are able to select the absolute one for you. With said we are here to introduce you the definition of different telescope and their work field very magnificently. keep reading for details.
Types of telescope and their advantage and disadvantage
Generally there are 5 types of telescope remaining for amateur, intermediate and professional astronomer or normal sky viewer and they are.
- Reflecting telescope
- Refractor telescope
- Catadioptric telescope
- Newtonians telescope
- Dobsonian telescope
1. Reflecting Telescope
Reflecting is most common telescope that maximum time comes under budget. It is well suited for beginner or intermediate astronomer but in some case, they also become ideal for a professional person. However, in reflecting telescope the manufacturer use mirror aperture in order to gather light and creating or showing an image.
Basically reflecting telescope is made of two mirrors; one exists in the aperture and another stay behind of aperture. The primary mirror gathers light and the secondary one crate image.
- The mirror construction help to avoid multicolored oddity
- Very easy to operate with
- Ideal for beginner to intermediate sky viewer
- Provide excellent bright and clear image
- Offer to observe the planet, galaxies, moon and so on
- Not ideal for territory observation
- All reflecting not allow professional use (not all some offer professional use)
- Require little maintenance and attention
- Bit heavy and bulky
- The secondary mirror sometimes create a problem in creating an image
2. Refractor Telescope
Another universal and familiar telescope is refractor telescope. Basically this sort of telescope suited beginner to professional means every type of astronomer. It is similar to reflecting telescope in many ways but there is, of course, some variation. Whereas reflectors telescope use mirror for gather light and making an image in that case refractor telescope use lens.
Besides it having two lenses among form them one subsist on aperture for gathering light and another present behind for creating an image. Similar to the reflecting it also bears pros and cons let’s see.
- Excellent for both celestial and territory observing
- Not require high maintenance
- Great for deep sky viewing
- Provide crystal clear image
- Perfect for all sort of user
- Need no collimation cap
- Offer high-quality image without any secondary setting
- Used optical tube for reducing image derogatory
- Bit expensive than reflecting telescope
- Maximum telescope experience a chromatic aberration
- Most offer small aperture size
- Require practice for habituated
- Hardy suited with amateur
3. Catadioptric Telescope
This catadioptric telescope can be recognized as the modern telescope that used the latest technology for telescope manufacturing. Yes, it a sort of telescope that comes with the combination of refracting and reflecting means bear both lens and mirror. Moreover, catadioptric mainly included two types of design and they are- Schmidt Cassegrain and Maksutov Cassegrain.
This category telescope having much small focal length and maximum of them appear in a portable size. It suited well with intermediate to professional astronomer or sky viewer and excellent for astrophotography. In case might not ideal for a beginner even if we are not sure about it.
- Versatile used option
- Included both mirror and lens for better viewing quality
- Compact and portable design
- Great for both sky and territory viewing
- Offer near and distance observing
- Good for astrophotography
- The maximum telescope comes with large aperture
- Tube design lessen image disgracefully
- Almost free of maintenance
- Bit expensive comparatively previous two types
- Not suited with beginner
- Take much time to familiarize
- The small field of view
4. Newtonian Telescope
A Newtonian telescope is actually a type of reflecting telescope that works exactly the same as the reflecting one. The main reason to put this on the list as people often got confused about the particular model. They think this is another sort of telescope but in reality, they are very common and offer a super budget-friendly and advance technology. For inquiry, you can check the latest Newtonian telescope here.
Anyway like the other telescope it also carries some advantage and disadvantage have a look.
- Simple and plain design
- Offer maximum distinctive size aperture
- It cools down very easily
- Can be used every sort of person
- Reasonable in price
- Verities type of model and feature telescope available
- Small to large aperture possible
- Bear short focal length
- Require occasional maintenance
- Something makes optical aberration
5. Dobsonian Telescope
Dobsonian telescope is a kind of Newtonian telescope that design in an altazimuth-mount layout. It is best suited with the amateur astronomer and not likely use by a professional astronomer or for astrophotography job. It is low cost, ready to use out of the box type telescope. Offer small to large size telescope depending on the price and other functionality.
It often calls the “light bucket” telescope which includes low magnification capacity along with short focal length. If you a beginner and want something light then can check the Dobsonian telescope latest model here.
- The mount offer excellent stability compare to other
- Very easy to set up and use
- Not need much maintenance
- You can use it just out from the box
- Most are comes with a manual setup
- It is not fit for astrophotography
- It is quite not for advanced level use
- Sometimes it is not for deep sky observing
Lastly, whether you are a profession or beginner no matter as in every manner the knowledge about different types of telescope will be appreciable. Moreover, we tried our best to acknowledge you every telescope advantage and disadvantage in a vivid way. Hope we got to know the difference and able to choose the right one for you.